This system has worked pretty well for me the last few years. In fact, if I don't use it, I end up wandering around the grocery store not having a clue what to buy!
So here goes:
The first thing I do is get out a plain 4x6 notecard.
I write out our menu for the week on it. I usually shop on Mondays which is why you will see Monday to Monday on my card. This is actually not a card, it's poster board with a huge version of my card on it! (I taught a class and had to make it big enough for everyone to see.)
I try to write down what activities we may have going on that night (In green) so that I can plan accordingly. If I'm going to be running around in the evening, I may try to plan for something in the crockpot or something easy the kids can make. (Just FYI...I don't actually color code my real notecards...)
On the flip side of the notecard I make my grocery lists. I usually go to three stores. Sprouts for most of my produce, Walmart for all the little stuff and Sams for all the big stuff. Next to each item I write the estimated price of that item. I always round up. In this scenario I only wanted to spend $125.00. I add up each list and put the total at the bottom. Then if my total is too much, which it obviously was, ($153) I start with the Sams side first. I start eliminating bulk items that I can get smaller items of at Walmart for cheaper. Then I add those things to the Walmart list.(In Green) Then I start to eliminate things that I may not be in absolute need of or can substitute something else at home in it's place.(I wasn't totally out of flax and I can use milk this week in smoothies instead of coconut water.) I then add up my totals again until I get to the number I want.
Remember I rounded up. This covers any tax I might have and always give me enough room if something wasn't exactly the price I had put down. (produce can especially be hard to estimate)
I also do price match at Walmart for things like milk. But I pretty much never use coupons. I don't have the patience.
This next part is how I pay for it all. First, I always use cash. We don't do well with credit cards, and no amount of rewards make up for the interest we end up paying. So at the beginning of the month we take out $800 for grocery money.(Danny only gets paid once a month, so it's easy to take it out all at once.) This covers everything in a normal grocery store; food, toiletries, cleaners, paper products.
This big card you are seeing represents a regular long letter sized envelope. I divide the envelope into weeks and put my cash for the week into it. (I don't carry around a months worth of cash.) So each week gets $200 for groceries.
The "other" category is for things like gifts, socks and underwear, (the kids pay for their own clothes except for socks and underwear) ink or office supplies, school pictures or fundraiser things etc... I have $60 per week in that category.
I put my cash and my grocery list into the envelope and head for the store. At the store I just put the receipt into the envelope. When I get home is usually when I write down how much I spent at the stores.
I always try to only "borrow" money from side to side, but never down the envelope. I don't want to mess with next weeks cash. Any left over money I might have at the end of the month we usually put into our vacation fund! Since we love to travel and are always planning our next trip. But use it for whatever you want or need.
We try and use cash for everything. We take a lot out every month and divide it into different envelopes. We have one for Christmas, which is awesome because we always have Christmas completely saved for when it comes. We have one for clothing for Danny and I and a bunch of other categories.
But if you like using your cards then this envelope is a great idea. It helps you keep track of what you spend and where, with the receipts, so it's much easier to keep track of how much you are spending!
The hardest part of this system is sitting down and making out your menus. If you don't want to have certain meals planned for certain days then just make sure you come up with 7 breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Then you can still make whatever you are in the mood for, but you have all the food you need. This is a must with large families. Good luck!
Having trouble planning meals? Try pinterest, 100DaysofRealFood.com and byutv/foodnanny. My favorites!


No comments:
Post a Comment