Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Not in Kansas Anymore!

When people tell me that the weather is crazy where they live I usually just roll my eyes.  Until you have lived in Colorado, you have no idea what weird, bizarre, crazy, ABSOLUTELY INSANE, weather is!
Let me splain...no, there is too much...let me sum up.
Wednesday...beautiful weather, sunny skies, 70 degrees, warm breeze.
Thursday...cloudy, sideways rain, hail, green clouds, tornadoes....what was that?  GREEN CLOUDS?  TORNADOES?
Friday...heavy rain...turned to heavy snow, so heavy I have to pull over to wipe off my windows and mirrors on my car because it is impossible to see...heavy snow turns back into heavy rain and melts all snow leaving no trace of any snow at all....sun comes out...nice humid breeze.
See what I mean?  PSYCHO WEATHER!
So, next time you think the weather is crazy, just think of me staring up at clouds that look like something out of The Wizard of Oz!  Or science fiction.  Here is my proof!

Here is my favorite! This large, swirling, green cloud above my house...like it was going to suck us all up there with it!


For those of you have expressed concern that our green clouds could be toxic, apparently this is called a Wall Cloud and it's common during tornadoes...Lucky us.

11 comments:

Christian said...

Yah, right. These are just screen shots from that "Independence Day" movie.

Buffy said...

I wish that were true, however those are the houses behind our house!

merathon said...

whoa that IS crazy... one of the reasons i'm a little nervous about our move out there in a few months...

talitha said...

And during those days, it also RAINED DIRT.

Dirt, people!! Top that.

lawanna said...

Wow! Those are awesome pictures!

Buffy said...

Yay Mer! When are you moving here and where?

merathon said...

those are both good questions, buffy-- i don't really know those answers yet. WHEN will depend on when we can sell our house here, but probably late july or early august. (patrick will move out there before the rest of us.) WHERE? not exactly sure, but i'm focusing my search on the greenwood village/nearby areas. where do you guys live now?

Beth said...

Colorado weather is crazy. I totally remember seeing clouds and tornado swirls like that. People out here never quite believe me when I tell them about the crazy weather. I also think that whenever there was a chance of a tornado it was in the afternoon and my mom always seemed to be gone and I was left at home with the kids. We even ended up going over to Danny's house a couple of times because I was home alone and all freaked out.

Buffy said...

We live out east...way east...off of smoky hill and gun club. Out by Aurora reservoir.

Jamie said...

No way! I would totally freak if I saw those out my window. Give me earthquakes over tornados any day- I don't want to see what might be coming!

ZAC said...

I wondered what those clouds looked like! We were back east at the time----FREAKY. Thanks for capturing. And I love your Mother's Day Post. I need to do something like that next year. I find I'm the only one cheering myself on come Mother's Day! Hopefully that will change... ;)