Living in the moment....it's hard. How do I really know that I am living in the moment?
I guess when I look back at my day and can actually recall the things that I did with clarity, then I realize that I was actually there.
This goal of mine has definitely helped me to take notice of the sweet little details of my life. Things these days have a certain, constant flow that if I really pay attention to, draw me into the importance of being fully present.
Waking in the morning to silence, darkness.
A warm 2 year old curled up against her dads back.
Kneeling and being thankful for another day to be with these 7 wonderful people.
Warm showers, long socks and sweaters, soft carpet beneath my feet.
A 12 year old who gets up before everyone just so he can sit in the still and dark house and
"give himself some extra time"...no rushing.
Cereal bowls, sour dough toast, real butter, a tea cup of hot water and lemon.
Boys helping to pack lunches, peeling carrots, filling water bottles.
A teenage daughter down the stairs, hair and make-up perfect.
Middle schoolers who get a ride and always hug and kiss me goodbye.
1st and 4th graders holding hands down the icy driveway, then wave to me as they reach the school playground across the street.
2 and 4 year old girls "helping me" get ready for pre-school, run errands, fold socks, make cookies.
Nap time with a favorite blankie, Sesame Street quietly in the background.
Peanut butter sandwiches, sliced apples, lots of milk.
Quiet time for me, reading, making lists, planning a trip.
Texts and loving phone calls from my sweetheart.
Hilarious phone calls from my sister.
Helpful phone calls from my mom.
The crunch of the snow to the mailbox down the street.
Little hands reaching to eat the snow then coming inside to warm them by the fire.
The smell of onion and butter sizzling on the stove, warm bread, plates, glasses, silverware, laid out, candles lit.
Familiar tunes by piano students plunking away.
Homework folders needing signatures, stories about school today, artwork for the fridge, a wiggly tooth,
husband grading papers.
The sounds of laughter in the kitchen during clean up.
Dishes soaking in sudsy water, a 2 year old trying to sweep.
Card games by the fire, new library books, legos, finding our house on "Google Earth".
Bubble bath with three little girls and a stack of Barbies.
The smell of lavender bath wash, lots of giggles.
Wet bodies in warm towels, then no towels and lots of running and squealing!
Soft jammies, more stories, brushing teeth.
Family prayer, holding hands, one more kiss, one more drink, one more story, sing me a song.
Closet doors shut, night lights on, kiss my bear too.
Stacks of pillows behind my back, goose down covering my legs.
Stacks of books on one side of me, a warm husband on the other.
The sound of little voices, a door creaking open, a little head appearing at the foot of the bed.
Walking on tip-toe, more kisses, tucking in, lights off.
Stillness.
These are the things that make up my days. I know a year from now there will be different lists, a different rhythm, but for now these are the things I cherish.
Someone else might find my day mundane and unexciting, but for me things like stacks of freshly folded laundry, warm food in the oven, pacifiers, endless demands for lipgloss by my two year old, snuggling, taking walks, talking to teenagers on beds, silly conversations....
all of the ordinary things that make up all the minutes of all my days, these are what I love most.
These are the things that bring me joy!
6 comments:
Wow.
Thank you for this. So sweet and precious and warm.
What a wonderful list.
P.S. You're famous. Here's the article I wrote about you:
http://www.examiner.com/new-moms-in-aurora-co/local-spotlight-buffy-bowman
Can we move in with you?
Heck ya! Although I think mom would get her feelings hurt...poor Elizabeth!
good post. you should print it out and stick this one in your journal.
Loved this...miss you!
Post a Comment