Monday, March 22, 2010

Simplicity

In simplicity there is freedom...
freedom to do less and to enjoy more.
Katrina Kennison

For those of you who don't know my personality, I like to keep things simple.  I don't like to have a lot of "stuff". ( Much to my children's dismay) Well, this weekend, some old neighbors brought us bags and bags and bags and bags of their kid's clothing that they had grown out of.  Ya gotta love hand-me-downs.  Especially when you have six kids.  However, by the time we got done going through it all, I was a bit overwhelmed!  Madeline immediately began trying everything on and within a few hours was covered in hives!  The people we got the clothes from have three big dogs, and apparently she is allergic. 
I had to wash the clothes...twice.  I had to sort them all into who they would fit now and who they would fit later, what was going to good will and what was going to cousins...yes there were that many clothes. 
A lot of the clothes were really nice.  These people only have two children and they have a lot of clothes...really nice ones from stores that I've never even been into.  But after doing all of this laundry, and trying to find places for it in their drawers and closets I think I am going to stick to what I've always stuck to before..."More isn't always better...sometimes it's just more.." ( from the movie "Sabrina")  
I normally have about 5 bottoms and 10 tops for each of my kids.  A sweat outfit, a sweater, a hoodie, coat, 10 underwear, 10 pair of socks etc...(although my husband has waaay more clothes than anyone!)
This may not sound like a lot...but believe me, when you multiply it by 8 people...it's a lot!
Just consider socks...10 pair per person...that is 160 single socks wandering around my house...no wonder they seem to disappear.  That's 80 shirts, and 40 pants and 80 pair of underwear!  
If I were to count the shirts in my six year old daughter's closet now, I'm sure there would be around 30.  That's for one kid!  And really Mac, do we have to save all six hoodies?  
Now, back to my quote...In simplicity there is freedom...definitely
freedom to do less... laundry... and to enjoy more...time with my family.
Anyone need any clothes?

These were actually taken of the closets in our old house.  The first one is for three little girls! (The bins are off season, or clothes that are too big, too little.)
The second one is mine...see...simple...less really is more!

6 comments:

Carly said...

I am so grateful to have that same simplicity gene!
It's ironic that you wrote this today because I deleted my facebook today for the sake of simplicity. When anyone has asked me why, I have just said, "Just simplifying my life, that's all."

Thanks for inspiring me to make things even more simple. =)

molly kay said...

I don't like having a lot of "stuff" either but I I do admit, i love clothes and right now since I've been aquiring maternity clothes, they will not fit in my closet and I'm going crazy!There sure was a lot of a color I can't identify in your girls' closet- pink was it???

talitha said...

AMEN.

Jenni said...

Thank you for this post! I have a one year old and went a little (okay, a lot) nuts at the local spring consignment sales and now my son has more spring and summer clothes than he could ever wear. I love your list of what you have for each child. I will be bookmarking this post for future use. Thanks so much!

fijiangirl said...

I hear you on this one! This is why they are only allowed to play 1 sport at a time, other wise too much running around. See you in 3 days

Jamie said...

Even your closets are pretty! I'm tempted to take a picture of mine so you will come over and make them beautiful :)