Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Life Changing

Watch it!  (Or read it!)  It will change your life and the way you eat.  
I have always thought that I fed my family pretty well.  We don't eat a lot of meat, I only make cookies from scratch and with whole wheat, we try to avoid trans fats, sugar,white flour, high fructose corn syrup as much as possible,...however, I never knew how important some other things were, like where exactly our  meat, eggs, fruits, vegies etc..were coming from and what was in them.  Well now I know and am totally grossed out, and saddened how out of control our country is when it comes to the "process" of processing foods...all food.  Even if you watch it and only change one or two things, it will definitely just make you more conscious of your habits and grocery shopping.  Danny and I watched it together and decided that every time we go to the store or out to eat we get to "vote" for what consumers want, so we will make our vote count!  Our votes have changed for the better.  We try to buy everything in season now and as much organic as we can. We are also eating cage free eggs and free range meats. (These are more expensive, but we don't eat a lot of it so it's worth it!)  I'm still making the same recipes, but with more healthy ingredients.  We are trying to buy only foods with all natural ingredients, no additives, preservatives, chemicals or artificial ingredients.  And you know what?  By doing this, we actually eat less, but are more filled, and we have lost weight!  Danny has lost 25 pounds and I have lost about 7. My skin is better and I have more energy.   We feel good and our kids are liking it too...actually they haven't really noticed anything.  Of course we still stray once in a while, like the other night we had shakes at Sonic, and had girl scout cookie ice cream (can you tell ice cream is my weakness!) but I know I definitely felt kind of gross afterward, and will think twice next time.  It might seem extreme, but after you watch the video, you'll know why!  It's worth it!

4 comments:

merathon said...

yep, it's pretty eye-opening, huh? i wish it was required viewing in all schools!

and congrats on the weight loss-- always a nice side effect!

jordan and bri said...

i read this eariler this morning, and it has been on my mind all day. i am planning on watching the movie eventually and hopefully start jordan and i off early with eating as best as we can. i am glad you posted this. :)

Sarah said...

You know I feel the same way...we really spend less or the same amount, but eat such better food...and the kids eat REAL food, not a bunch of expensive empty calorie snacks.
Did you read The China Study? That's another must-read.

merathon said...

YES to the China Study! it is a GREAT book. it's what convinced me four years ago to go completely vegetarian (almost vegan)-- long before i even saw Food inc.!